Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Zucchini Apple Pie

For all of you who have tons of Zucchini and don't know what to do with it, here's a fun alternative. Zucchini Apple Pie. I have tasted someone else's recipe for this and it was yummy. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. I can't vouch for it, but I think it's worth a try. Please let me know how it turns out if you make it.

SUBMITTED BY: Elizabeth Wood "I'm an RN and a patient's family shared this recipe with me when I was complaining about having too much zucchini. It tastes surprisingly like apple, most people don't realize it's not apple until you tell them. Make sure the zucchini used in recipe has skin soft enough that your thumbnail can pierce it."

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
2 large zucchini
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 pinch salt
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 pinch ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour


DIRECTIONS
Peel the zucchini. Cut into quarters lengthwise, then remove seeds and cut crosswise (as you would cut apples for apple pie). Toss together 4 cups chopped zucchini, lemon juice and salt. Place mixture into frying pan and cook until tender-crisp.
In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, cream of tartar, nutmeg and flour. Add the cooked zucchini to sugar mixture and mix well. It will be a little runny, but that's OK.
Place filling into a 9 inch pie crust, dot with butter, and place top crust on. Bake in oven at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

5 comments:

Angelina said...

Thanks for posting. I am glad someone remembers to post a recipe. We missed you at the BBQ last week.

Desiree said...

It does look, smell, and taste just like apple pie! I cut them up---knew that I was biting into zucchini but even the texture smacked of apple!

Angelina said...

So, I made this pie for John. He HATES zuchinni. And Apple pie is his very most favorite pie in the world. He had been at Bear Lake all week and I said, I made an apple pie! He was so excited. He bit into the pie and said, you used a different recipe. I said yes, do you like it. He said, yes, but it tastes a little cinnamonny. Then I told him, there wasn't a stich of apples in the whole pie. It was zucchini!!! He promptly spit it out and didn't touch it again.

Desiree said...

You divulged the truth too quickly! You should have let him finish at least the whole slice to see if he gagged at the notion of what he had injested!

Angelina said...

I know, but I couldn't hold it in any longer. I was too excited to see if he loved the zuchinni.